Monday, January 14, 2013

Dear Phil - a project!

I like cooking, but I realise that I've been a bit lazy about learning how to cook Vietnamese style food.

I was reading this column by Sheila Quirke and she mentioned an idea she once had of learning about one country in Africa per week - since the number of African countries is similar to the number of weeks in a year.

She failed - but it's still a cute idea. I wondered how many provinces are there in Vietnam?

58.

Close to a year. I could learn one dish from each province per week, I suppose.  But that sounds overly ambitious.  I don't want to fail like Sheila did, just because I set the bar too high!  And, although lots of provinces have their own specialities, I'm not sure if they all do.  I could end up making an awful lot of stringy chicken stewed in lemongrass and ginger, y'know?

BUT!




Vietnam has a mere 8 regions. And it does seem achievable that I could master one dish from each  region roughly over the course of a year - say, one per month-ish.

Are you hungry, Mr Martin?


Image source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_Vietnam

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    Sorry to use the comment function on your blog to contact you but I couldn't find your email address.

    I am an editor at www.expatarrivals.com and I am looking for expats to contribute to a guide on Ho Chi Minh City guide.

    I am keen to have someone write a page on HCMCs best restaurants. Would you be interested ?

    In return for your hard work I would give you a expert profile box which you could use to promote your blog to a wider expat audience.

    What do you think ?

    Please email me on shantalie@expatarrivals.com for more information.

    Cheers,

    Shantalie

    ReplyDelete